I’ve been keeping mum about this one for so long and then I may have forgotten to post *smacks forgetful designers hand*, but I have been working on something very exciting. I’m working with indie dyer Spartickes Dyes on her next yarn club. It’s a monthly club with yarn and pattern combinations. There are some super talented designers helping out with this club and it’s not too late to sign up!
The club is USD 141 or three installments of USD47. For international shipping, contact Mari and she will let you know what shipping outside of the US will be. This will get you an amazing 4.5 skeins of incredibly beautiful yarn and 3 patterns.
While I’m pimping Mari, go check out her Etsy store as well. She has project bags and yarn. Nom.
More than 2.5 years after it’s original inception, the Candlewick sock pattern has finally been released!
Candlewick is a top down lace sock pattern that I designed just before a trip to Japan. It’s knit using a 4 ply sock yarn, in this case I used Dream in Color Starry, which is definitely a favourite sock yarn of mine. The gauge is 28 stitches and 38 rows to 4″ knit in the lace pattern. The charts and written instructions are provided for the lace pattern.
Please head on over to Ravelry and check out Candlewick and my other patterns.
It’s Sunday morning here and there is some knitting in progress on a new design.
At the moment, I’m editing a shawl pattern based on the feedback received during testing. Which is taking longer than planned. In part because there were more issues than anticipated (which is why something like this went to testing in the first place) and because I struggle to edit off a computer screen. So I’ve printed the pattern off and am covering it in notes with my faithful red pen.
As well as this being an easier way for me to edit the pattern and add notes, I’m finding it helpful for formatting. I’m noticing that things that don’t make a difference on a computer screen, make a huge difference once the pattern is printed. Now I want my patterns to be easy to use, not just from a technical stand point, but from a formatting stand point as well. I’m always sad when I find an amazing pattern that I struggle with not because of the techniques or the actual instructions, but the formatting of the pattern complicates the execution. So as well as making sure I’m explaining techniques/stitch patterns used, I’m making sure the overall pattern is easier.
So I know w
So it took me a little longer than plan, but I’ve finally finished the prototype of my latest design. It’s a fingering weight shawl featuring stockinette and lace sections with a picot bind off.
It’s just entered the testing stage, but if you’re interested in testing, head on over to Ravelry and the Free Pattern Testers group.
I realise it’s half way through January as I write this, but Happy New Year! This year, I plan to be more active around the Silky Doll page. Last year was hands down the hardest year of my life. I lost someone very close and special to me in February and then got married in April. Last year really became about dealing with my grief and keeping my head above water. I did continue to work on designs throughout the year. There’s a shawl just being test knit on the needles, a pair of socks awaiting some photos, and a couple of more waiting test-knitting. I’ve even branched out and started working on something big and cabled.
I look forward to spending more time around here this year and getting back it all.
I’m pleased to announce my etsy store Silky Doll’s Nook is up and running! The etsy store will be mostly handmade stitch markers and jewelery, but I’ve also included my paid patterns here as another way for people to purchase them if you don’t want to use Ravelry.com.
As always, don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions! I can now be reached at silky AT silkydolldesigns DOT COM.
This is one of my first designs. It was originally designs about 5 years ago, between exams and a formal, to wear over my dress, which was backless. It’s proven to be a pretty and versatile item, coming out every winter as a light, but warm scarf. Okay, the specifics: It’s made from a 4 ply Merino Possum Silk from Glenora Spinning and Weaving (mentioned in a previous post), using 4 mm needles (as usual I’ve used circulars for the extra length, but you could use straights if it was more your style). It’s a relatively basic lace repeat, but you may find stitch markers helpful to mark individual repeats. Lady Jane Stole is $5. I really hope you like.
We all have them. Last year, I had a particularly bad hair cut. It was awful. It was spawned from the previous haircut, which was almost as bad. The previous hair cut was somehow a full inch shorter on one side, and so to get the 2 sides even without losing all of the length in it, I ended up with a silly little bob that just didn’t suit me. So as a good knitter should, I made a cute hat to hide the hair.
This hat involves increases, decreases and yarn overs. I have included explanations of the techniques used in the pattern. Please note this a paid pattern. The Bad Hair Day Hat is $2. I hope you like!
Wow, 2 posts in and I’m already failing a little at regular posts. Since I started this, my partner and I have moved house, (about a week after I set the blog up, which explains a lot), and we’ve been internet-less for a good chunk of that time. I have kept active with the designing and have a few new ideas, which I will aim to work on in the coming months.
But today, a pattern. It’s no secret I love owls. Always have. So I share with you a free pattern, my Hoo Hoot! Gloves. These are a fairly basic pattern, consisting of a cabled cuff, with the rest of a glove knit from the edge of the cuff. I really hope you like them!